Hiding Philippians in My Heart is a challenge to memorize the entire book of Philippians. All 104 verses! The following are resources and a suggested memorization plan using the English Standard Version. It is at a pace of about a five verses a week. (You can certainly go at any pace and use any translation, but the resources here will be for the ESV.)
- ESV Bible Online There is an audio version of Philippians here that you can listen to. Listening to the book over and over will help solidify the book in your mind.
- Most of Philippians set to music This is a great resource!
- Hiding Philippians in My Heart archives Read through the original journey through Philippians.
- Weekly memorization cards Each week’s verses in flash card form.
- Weekly “letter” review cards Each week’s verses converted into the first letter of each word. This is a great memory aid.
- Philippians “wallpaper” Two weeks of the verses set to scenic pictures, perfect for your computer.
Join the Challenge
Anyone is welcome to join in the Hiding Philippians in My Heart challenge. Here is how to join:
- Choose a pace and set a completion date. Set a measurable, reasonable completion goal to shoot for.
- Leave a comment to let us know that you are joining the challenge, and when you hope to complete it.
- If you have a blog, write a blog post about the challenge and link up your blog at the Hiding His Word linky at the beginning of the month. If you like, you can use this button on your blog and in your posts so we can find each other and spread the word about the challenge.
- If you are on Twitter join the #HideHisWord stream and tweet something like: “I’m on the journey to #HideHisWord in my heart. Join me? ” Continue to use the #HideHisWord tag to share about your journey and receive support and inspiration from others. (If you are new to Twitter, check out this tutorial.)
How to Start
- Start memorizing! There is no perfect way to do this. Don’t get stuck trying to figure it all out. Just start.
- Pray and ask God to bless your efforts. “Oh Lord, we pray, give us success!” Psalm 118:25b
- Consider inviting someone to join you in this challenge. A spouse, a friend, or another family member who will walk this journey with you. Partnership is a big help in providing encouragement and accountability.
- Brainstorm ways that you can use multi-tasking to memorize scripture. Find the places in your day where your hands are busy, but your mind is free to listen. During your commute? While you run errands, or take a shower? Fold laundry, wash dishes? Are you a runner?
- Pick a day for your “prep day“. This is where you can write out the verses for the week in your journal and on your cards that can go up around the house. The bathroom mirror, nightstand, refrigerator, computer, shower (in a Ziploc!), have all been helpful places for me.
- Stay tuned for scripture memory tips, and monthly link-up posts to share your progress. You can leave a comment or link-up a blog post.
- Check out the Do Not Depart scripture memory archives.
- Participate in the Vlog (Video Log) link-ups. Recite what you have memorized! Recitation is great way to solidify the verses you are working on. (This is not required to join the challenge.)